Sunday, March 31, 2013

"A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again." - Maya Angelou

After battling ovarian cancer for 3 years, my amazing and wonderful Grandma passed away on March 14th. She was put into hospice 10 days before she passed and among her last words, she said that "she was not afraid". Nor did she have any reason to be. Not only does she have the knowledge of the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation, but she lived an amazing life. She was a wonderful influence to those around her, especially to her children and grandchildren. She had the best "can do" attitude around and whatever the challenge or trial, she willingly accepted with no complaint and always served to the fullest of her capacities.

The definition of "fighting" cancer seems fairly loose, with the meaning mostly being seeking and undergoing treatment. My Grandma actually fought! Cancer was a pest to her, and she did everything she could to maintain her lifestyle of serving others and spending time with those she loved the most. She continued to be the amazing grandma that she is, doing projects with the grandkids and serving others, at a time when everyone around her should have been serving her.

Even though we knew the end was in sight, it was still hard to internalize her passing. I cried a lot more than I expected. She wanted me to sing "Oh that I were an angel" at her funeral, a song sung at both her mother's and sister's funeral. I had never heard the song before, but about 2/3 of the way through I broke down and couldn't sing anymore. The song is based off of Alma 29:1 which says:

O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!

My Grandma was diagnosed with cancer while serving a mission in the West Indies and her mission was cut about 3 weeks short. More than anything she wanted to serve her full mission. She loved serving the people in the West Indies and preaching the Gospel. I know that she has her wish now and is serving and preaching to those beyond the veil.

I will always remember her example. I will miss her, and as holidays and reunions come and go I know that her absence will only feel greater, but I am so glad that I was able to have such a wonderful grandmother in my life.






2 comments:

Katya said...

This is a beautiful tribute to your grandma, Naomi! She sounds like an amazing woman.

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing more of your grandmother's wonderful life with us. I'm sure all that knew her were blessed!